Why Washer Coin Slides Get Stuck
More than 30,000 coin-operated laundries dot the landscape of the USA. They generate upwards of $ 5 billion in megascopic annual gross. That figure doesn ’ t include communal laundry facilities in apartment complexes and early multi-unit residential buildings .
coin-operated washers and dryers are big business. Considering the swerve act of coins dropping into all those machines, is it any curiosity that a coin slither gets stuck immediately and then ? And a washer with a jam mint slide is an inoperable machine, a fiscal liability and not an asset .
New machines rarely jam. But coin slides develop wear merely like other moving parts of a washer, and not every mint inserted will be in batch condition or even genuine .
Slugs or foreign currency sometimes appear in coin slides, wreaking havoc.
In a perfect world, you could force that problem disc out of the chute merely by pressing the coin return button. But since you ’ ra reading this web log post on the Chief Appliance Repair web site, let ’ s assume you already tried that, and it didn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate knead .
4 Ways to Clear Blockage from a Coin Slide
- Using tweezers, reach into the coin slide. Grasp the offending coin and pull it out of the slot.
- Chances are, frustrated customers have already slapped the coin slide in an attempt to free the jam. Now that you’re on the job, it’s time for a more aggressive approach. Place a block of wood against the washer close to the slide. Tap the block sharply with a hammer. With luck, the vibration you create will loosen the stuck coin. The wooden block will protect the washer’s paint. Tap, but don’t pound!
- Insert another coin into the slot and push in the chute. This action may dislodge the stuck coin.
- A coin tilted to the side may be obstructing the slot. Use a flat screwdriver or utility knife to set it upright.
Now What? Checking the Entire Coin Mechanism
If you ’ ve scrolled this far, steps 1-4 got you nowhere. The mint is bent and immovable, or the cardinal trouble lies with something other than a cling coin .
You might want to call West Coast Chief Repair at this item.
But if you ’ re determined to soldier on, you might have to open the coin box or extract the entire coin assembly. A easy sleep together or bad separate could be causing the jamming .
If you don ’ metric ton own the machine, there ’ sulfur nothing you can do early than report the malfunction to the owner or construct director.
Read more : Most expensive cryptocurrency 2022 | Statista
But if you have the key to the access panel, opening the coin corner can often dislodge a adhere coin. Yippee !
Removing the entire mint forum can be catchy, depending on the mint acceptor your washer uses .
The most common coin slot mechanisms for washers are upright and sliding. dial slots are typical for dryers .
Repairing a Coin Slot Mechanism
meticulously record anything you might be removing : screws, nuts, connections, etc. You ’ ll have to reassemble the mint slot mechanism after completing your DIY repair .
- Remove the coin tray. Empty it and check it for anything obvious stuck in the coin chute.
- Remove the maintenance panel, usually located on the top face of the coin slot housing at the back of the washer and locked with a key.
- Remove the long bolt. It usually has a hexagonal cross-section and runs from the front of the housing to the maintenance panel.
- If the slot mechanism has wiring, disconnect it.
- Carefully pull the slot mechanism free.
- You should now be able to see the problem coin or obstruction. Continue to take notes and draw diagrams if you need to dismantle the unit further.
- Once you’ve removed the coin, insert a new coin and test the mechanism. Now comes the real fun. You get to put everything back together!
If the jam persists, you may have to replace the mint slot mechanism. Since you now know how to remove the mechanism, you should besides know how to replace it. Call your local parts distributor and ordering a new separate .
If All Else Fails, Call the Pros
Or, you can save yourself a set of clock time and fuss if you give us a call. We repair appliances for a living and have dealt with hundreds of mint jams. We won ’ t evening need a diagram to fix the problem in less time than it takes you to follow the steps in this DIY animate steer.
Read more : Coins from Brazil – Numista